Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sunday's Run

I was very excited on Sunday to run the track at Nyack High School for the first time... that is until I got there. As I parked and walked down to the track to stretch, I came across a young lady who just finished. She was covered in sweat and dead gnats! For some reason, the gnats were swarming around the track. I decided to go for it anyway. I ran my first mile at a nice pace and finished it in 8:37. After 4 laps around the track I had to stop to get the gnats out of my eyes. I kept the stopwatch going and kicked the next mile into high gear. The problem is I have no idea how long I stopped. I finished the whole thing in 18:37. I will have to go back and do another time trial when the gnats are gone. My desire was to run 3-4 miles but I was just too annoyed.
On a side note, I checked to see how my time lined up with the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) standards for my age group. From what I remember, you need to score a 60 in order to pass. For my age group (27-31) I needed to run the two miles in 17:00min. Had I kept my pace from the first mile I would have had a final time of 17:14. Not too shabby. When I was in basic, my best 2mile time was 13:06!
If you are interested, the APFT standards for 2 mile run / push-ups / and sit-ups are posted here...
http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/Prep_For_Basic_Training/Prep_for_basic_pt/apft-male-2mile-run-stand.shtml

I am supposed to run tonight after class. Miriam will probably get her run in after she gets home from work. Super Captain Daddy Pants is cooking supper tonight too :)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't run yesterday. Miriam did when she got home but alas, I chilled with Miriam :)

    ReplyDelete